Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Christmas shopping ! ! !

We’ve decided on Saturday to go Christmas shopping in the Metro Centre.

I know it’s early to start thinking about the dreaded festive season, but I hate shopping at the best of times so thought we may as well get it over and done with before it gets too crowded.

Most of the people I need to buy for are easy, such as
Sarah, my niece: something cute or edible from M&S.
John’s friend Peter: Anything weird or unusual.
Our friends 5 year old daughter Esme: any thing recommended by the shop assistant in Early Learning Centre.

My mam on the other hand is the worst person in the world to buy for. Every year I have the same problem and every year it gets harder and harder. What do you get a person who doesn’t want it, has already got it or doesn’t need it.

I’ve dismissed the usual lady gifts – smellies, ‘makes me sneeze’; cosmetics, ‘don’t use them’; jewellery, ‘necklaces choke me.’

Last year I was going to get her a mobile phone but was told in no uncertain terms that it would be left in the box as she didn’t want one.

I thought about getting her a magazine subscription but that went down like a lead balloon ‘they’re all a waste of money’ or ‘they repeat the same item every couple of months’.

I even thought about a boring book token but she prefers to get books out of the library ‘once I read a book that’s it, I can’t go back to it again’.

So any suggestions would be gratefully received…….

Marie

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Check out oxfam. They do wacky things like a goat for a third world community (you pay the dosh - I think a goat is about £25) - and they send a card saying what you've given in that person's name.

Marie and John said...

Good idea but I already sponsor her a horse from Redwings Horse Sanctuary.

Told you she was hard to buy for…...

Marie