Tuesday, October 25, 2005

I Hate HTML

It’s not funny. I’m a software developer with 30 years experience. I can write in five languages and read another five. I can even still interpret punch cards.

But there are two languages that really leave me flummoxed.

The first is “C” which is probably excusable. It’s been described as a “write-only” language, in the sense that once written you can never go back and understand what you wrote. I mean, come on, what kind of language allows lines like “a++ + ++b”. In any sensible language this would be a syntax error.

And now for a terrible confession. Today I made one of my first forays into HTML. It’s horrible. Most languages you get a feel for how it will look. Not this one. It seems to put in loads of stuff you don’t want and loads of unexpected white space. Stuff those fancy editors, I ended up using note pad .

Tim Berners-Lee has got a lot to answer for.

John

No comments: